April 2, 2012
Spring Foundation Checklist
Spring is here! It's getting warmer outside and the days are longer. Which means it's the perfect opportunity to take a walk around your home, check for problems and do some preventative maintenance.
Here are a few easy things you can do to help protect your home:
Check the Grade Around Your Home
Make sure the soil slopes away from your home - it should be 1 inch per foot for the distance of 8 feet from your foundation. But when that's not possible a gentle slope will help drain water away from your foundation.
When you’re installing the slope, make sure to press the dirt down and never use sand or mulch. This minimizes the amount of dirt runoff and seepage into the soil.
Check Plumbing, Drains and AC Unit
Check for leaky exterior faucets.and make sure that all downspouts and the AC drain point away from your foundation. Any drainage lines should extend at least 6 feet away from your foundation.
Close Up Your Crawl Space
If your home is built on a crawl space, seal it up! The best way to protect your home is to seal your crawl space but you can help minimize any damage from snow or water by closing up all entrances.
Think About Your Sprinklers
If you're getting ready to install sprinklers make sure that they're not placed next to your foundation - six feet away is a good distance. And when positioning the sprinkler heads make sure that they are not pointing directly towards your home otherwise you'll end up watering your foundation and creating settlement problems.
- ► 2014 (30)
- ► 2013 (72)
- JES Wins Fantastic 50 Award from Virginia Chamber ...
- What is Structural Damage to a House?
- Why Do I Have Wet Basement Floors?
- Foundation Repair - What You Need to Know
- Meet The Staff: Todd S.
- Dear JES: My Crawl Space Is Flooded!!
- How Do I Fix Leaky Basement Walls?
- Hiring: Web Designer/SEO Specialist
- What Causes Nail Pops?
- Moisture + Crawl Space = Termites
- Basement Waterproofing Virginia
- Does Your Crawl Space Smell Like Rotten Eggs?
- Photo Shoot!
- Spring Foundation Checklist
- ▼ April (14)